Resisting peace



"Rest in natural great peace
This exhausted mind
Beaten helpless by karma and neurotic thought
Like the relentless fury of the pounding waves
In the infinite ocean of samsara.

Rest in natural great peace." - Nyoshul Khenpo Rinpoche
                        
"My own view, which does not rely solely on religious faith, nor even on an original idea, but rather on ordinary common sense, is that establishing binding ethical principles is possible when we take as our starting point the observation that we all desire happiness and wish to avoid suffering. We have no means of discriminating between right and wrong if we do not take into account others’ feelings, others’ suffering." - His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama

The first knitting project I attempted was a welcoming blanket for my son. The needles were too short, the wax over the bamboo was fading, and the pure cotton yarn was difficult to use. Even with those obstacles, I sat on the back deck, swaying on the porch swing, chanting "Om Mani Padme Hum" with each stitch.

My skill level could be considered as advanced remedial, and I could only do the knit stitch for any project. If a pattern called for purling, then I just gave up. During that time, however, I became an expert at casting on, knitting a few rows, then binding off. It was an amazing experience, and it provided many moments of contemplative experience. Also, everyone receive homemade dish cloths for Christmas that year. A total win/win in my book!

What I learned from the needles, the yarn, and the time, was that what we resist will most surely persist. While I know that is a cliche statement, but for me it was the truest thing in the world. I was resisting, and each time I picked up my project, each stitch - even while chanting - reminded me of emotions, fears, and worries that were persisting.

As I became a better knitter, eventually continuing on with fiber arts of all kinds, I started to see some Truths about myself that would have always been hidden had I not engaged my resisting self. 

"Keep walking, though there's no place to get to.
Don't try to see through the distances.
That's not for human beings. Move within,
But don't move the way fear makes you move.

If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?

Start a huge, foolish project, like Noah…it makes absolutely no difference what people think of you."
            ― Rumi

Today you are invited to polish your mirror. Let things rise, fall, and rise again. Get out an old project or try a new recipe. Whatever there is resistance, take a moment to look at what it might be teaching you. Remember to stop, take a breath, and let each aspect of your endeavor hold you in the experience.

Rest in natural great peace,
keu/Yarn and Zen

Comments

Popular Posts