On Yarn and Zen


“Take time to see the quiet miracles that seek no attention” John O'Donohue
                       
Of late folks have been asking me this question: "What exactly is Yarn and Zen?"

It's a good question - because to the outside casual observer, it looks as it I've got too many threads for one solid project. One podcast there, another website here, one more Facebook page everywhere - it just appears if there is a lot going on for one person, right? I mean who can do all that and not get burnt out?

Doing what you love isn't a privilege; it's an obligation.”
― Barbara Sher
Enter the work of Barbara Sher. For the first time in my life, here was someone saying, "Stop letting the issues of others color your ability to engage multiple disciplines, and go live your life." What I learned was intensely revolutionary, and it has taken me a few years to put the information into practice.

The key element here is to stop trying to explain these things:
  • who you are
  • what you are doing
  • why you engage the world fully
Once you move past that in your own mind, it becomes easier to let the words of the Greek chorus roll off your back and into the infinite Ocean of Opinion. What others think of you is not who you are. I promise.

So, with that, what exactly is Yarn and Zen?

Honestly, there is not a one-sentence mission statement, but I can best sum it up like this: a multi-faceted experience where the entire scope of body, mind, and spirit are engaged in co-creating a path of well being. Also, there's yarn, stories, and various sundry experiences - sort of like a Kim Upton buffet of offerings.

In 2019 I've got workshops and classes lined up in my local area. When Spring returns, I'll be accepting applications for apprentices - which is always a good learning experience for everyone involved.

If you have any questions, or just wanna know more about the whos, whats, and whys, drop me a note - I'll be glad to chat with ya!

Much love,
keu/Yarn and Zen

Comments

Popular Posts