First Sunday of Advent (2018)

“We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.” - J.K. Rowling

Greetings and good day to each of you - I hope all is well in your part of the world.

When I was younger, Advent was a time of such joy. Lights, music, celebration - all part of remembering that the world won't be dark forever. The spiritual aspect didn't always appeal to me, as my young mind was almost always focused on presents instead of presence.

However, there was one year where my questioning most likely tested the patience of any nun that dared to come near me. You see, I'd found a book on world religions, while also jumping into the Old Testament. My Soul just wanted to know if there was more out there. It just wasn't my "thing" to take what others told me about Faith - my heart and brain were also seekers.

And here I am some 40 odd years later, finding that Advent is the best thing for my wellness. It is the ultimate time for gestating ideas, letting negative inner chatter fade away, and weaving beautiful things together for when the Sun returns.

But what if I was not in the Northern Hemisphere?

Most likely I'd be doing much the same, but within a different context. On December 21st/22nd, in the Southern Hemisphere folks are tending the seeds they planted in Spring. There is action behind thoughts, a blooming of life and possibility.

Isn't it wonderful how the planet strives to teach us the art of Balance? At every Solstice and Equinox we have an opportunity to see that nothing is all dark, nor is it all light. It's just little pieces of everything put together in a way that allows all things to thrive.

If you'd like to start your Advent off with a little meditation, please check out today's podcast. Also, I've made a fun YouTube playlist that you can listen to as December rolls along.

With that, I'm off to play in the Sun - today's temps are supposed to be in the low 60s!

Much love to each of you,
~ keu/Yarn and Zen

Comments

Popular Posts